At Lydney Town Council we believe passionately in the benefits of engaging with young people. Too often many of our younger residents feel detached from their community, when often their input would bring about positive change. We believe strongly in respecting their views, thereby fostering an environment of inclusivity, enhancing Lydney’s social and cultural well-being.
To this end, we have since included, as part of our Full Council Meeting format, a ‘Youth Engagement Forum’ – a permanent slot on our agenda which specifically allows any young person (under the age of 18 years) to come along to one of our meetings and air their views.
Anyone wishing to make use of this opportunity need only get in touch. Parents/Teachers are also most welcome. We would be delighted to hear from you.
Attendees will be allotted three minutes in which to speak, and may raise any issue relating to life in Lydney. Should the Council then consider it is able to assist in any way with your concerns, then the point raised will be added to our next meeting agenda for further discussion by Council.
Contact Information for Youth Organisations
- Pebbles – (Pre-school group) meet every Thursday at 09:30 HRS in The Holy Trinity Church. Their key contact is Reverend Pat Cox on 01594 843852
- Little Sparklers – (Pre-school group) meet every Wednesday at 09:30 HRS in The Old Vicarage, St Mary’s Church. Their key contact is Reverend Sarah Fenby on 01594 842321
- Aylburton and Lydney Scout Troop – (ages 10-14) meet every Monday from 18:30 HRS at Severnbanks Primary School between September and Easter. Their meeting venue changes to Lydney Deerpark between Good Friday and August (although meeting times remain the same). Contact may be made via the First Aylburton And Lydney Scout Group Website. Note: The Scout Troup also run Beaver Scout (ages 6-8) & Cub Scout (ages 8-10) schemes for younger children
- Lydney Boxing Club (Juniors) – Meet every Monday and Wednesday from 18:15 HRS at Bath Place, Regents Hall Lydney. Their key contact is Bryan Higgs on 07787 122399
- Forest of Dean Sea Cadets – (ages 10-18) – Meet every Tuesday and Thursday from 19:00 HRS at The Sea Cadet Unit, Youth & Community Centre, Naas Lane Lydney GL15 5AT. Contact is made via the Forest of Dean Sea Cadets Website
- Lydney, Royal Air Force Cadets – (ages 12-18 with an extension of service through to 20) – Meet every Thursday from 18:30 HRS and every Sunday from 10:00 HRS at the Cadet Centre Severnbanks Primary School. Their key contact is Tania Pallister at firstname.lastname@example.org telephone 01594 844995
- Lydney Tennis Club (juniors) – Meet every Wednesday from 16:30 HRS at Lydney Tennis Club (summer season only). Their key contact is Martin Godwin on 01594 842159
- Lydney Cricket Club (junior section) – Meet every Tuesday from 18:00 HRS at Lydney Cricket Club (April to July only)
- Lydney Football Club (junior section) – Meet every Thursday from 18:30 HRS at Lydney Recreation Ground (ages 16-18), or every Friday from 18:30 HRS at The Dean Academy (under 16’s)
- Lydney Rugby Club (junior section) – Meet every Wednesday from 18:20 HRS at Lydney RFC club (under 18’s)